A Note from Sister Mary Teresa:
In the opening Mass for Yuma Catholic way back in 2000, Fr. John Friel proclaimed,
“Jesus Christ is the reason for this school.”
That remains as true today as it was then.
Our faith in Jesus and our Catholic identity are the reason we are here. This is why Yuma Catholic has worked to create a vibrant Campus Ministry program to support the faith lives of the students beyond the theology classrooms, so that our students don’t just know about Jesus, but so that they actually know Him.
In order to support this mission, the Campus Ministry department carries out a variety of activities throughout the year, including:
- Weekly all-school Masses are held each Tuesday and holy day throughout the year, during which students serve as sacristans, altar servers, lectors, and Eucharistic Ministers. Additionally, there is an optional morning Mass on the first Friday of each month in the YC chapel.
- The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults is a program for students and faculty members interested in completing their sacraments of initiation or who are interested in becoming Catholic. Theology teachers instruct and engage participants in preparation for their entry into the Church during the Easter Vigil.
- National Vocation Awareness Week is the first week of November and is marked each year at YC by a vocations panel and instruction on vocations in the theology classes to open students’ hearts to the call of God in their own lives.
- Campus Ministry supports the community service requirement at YC by providing a listing of service opportunities each month and by sponsoring at least one service project a month to be done communally.
- Adoration and Confession
- Once a month, the students go to the chapel for a morning of adoration and the opportunity to go to confession.
- Each class has its own retreat day; the senior class gets a weekend-long Kairos (καιρός) retreat as the culmination of their YC experience.
- Special Events
- A variety of activities take place throughout the year to foster the faith-life of our students, including special celebrations of feast days, the March for Life in Phoenix, bonfires, movie nights, and more!